6.4.06

Gorilla Balls

I don't think it's any secret that I hate Damon Albarn. I hate him tremendously. Yes, it stems from my intense love and loyalty to Oasis, but the fact that he basically fueded with my two favourite Britpop era bands, Oasis and Suede, says more than enough. After reading the excellent book BRITPOP by John Harris recently, I hate him even more. Also, Blur has always kinda sucked, and believe me, I tried very hard to like them early on.

So when he started doing the Gorillaz thing, I must admit I thought it was for a laugh, and it probably was. However, there were some decent tunes and I must admit a fascination with the idea of marrying music to animation to present the band. Nothing I would ever do, obviously, as I am too vain to hide behind a cartoon (make guitarist joke now), but interesting nonetheless. I believe I own the first Gorillaz album. Irene, however, is a bit of a fan, and owns I think most of the singles, etc. Anyhow, I have sort of casually followed this project and have been quick to make comments about how his cartoons were more popular than his band. Again, I hate Damon Albarn.

When I read that Albarn was going to do 5 nights at the Apollo performing the new album DEMON DAYS as he recently did in Machester with as many of the special guests from the album that he could muster up, I was interested but not motivated. The over the top UK press (which I love simply because they are so over the top), praised this 5 night "one time only" run so enthusiastically that I was curious if money was exchanged. However, when I heard that Albarn had enlisted Shaun Fucking Ryder of the Mondays (Who I had never seen perform), I must admit that that, coupled with Irene's love of the band, was enough to get me to throw down "large cash sums" for tickets. Even for someone I hate, like Damon Albarn.

So there we were, In the top section of the Apollo on a rainy Monday night. The big buzz was from the night before, which was the opening night, and how the projections didn't work, thus effectively killing half if not more of the presentation. The NY Time butchered it (unfairly I feel), so I was a bit concerned. However, within the first few minutes of the show, I found myself enjoying it tremendously.

They took an opera box and had two of the animated characters come to life in puppet form. It was actually pretty funny and clever and a cool way to start the gig. And the curtain lifted and there was something like a thousand people onstage playing the new album. Two guitarists (both from the Verve!), a whole string section, 4 or 5 backup singers, a keyboardist, a very fierce drummer and a percussionist. There might have been more for all I know. And in the back, hidden behind a piano, with no spotlight on him, was Damon Albarn. Wisely, he never once spoke to the audience or allowed any focus to be placed on him. Instead, he left plenty of room for the guest stars to shine (the highlight of which was a wonderful children's choir who had tons of energy and charisma and were possibly the best moment of the night).

The night proceeded at a brisk pace. The balance between the film/animation and performance was really well done. Guests like Neneh Cherry and De La Soul got things moving in person and they made up for the missing special guests like Doom and Dennis Hopper by incorporating them into the video portions of the set. I don't know who to write about Ike Turner. And then Shaun Ryder came out and he quite simple owned it. I doubt half the crowd knew who he was other than anglophiles and expats, but by the time he was done, everyone knew this motherfucker. Irene said he looked like a turtle, and I felt he moved in fashion similar to Mike Hess' impersonation of Parkinson's disease. Even Damon Albarn, who I hate, popped like a mark while watching Shaun Ryder do his thing. the drugs DO work.

Anyhow, the whole show had a very upbeat feel good (not Inc) quality to it. I felt like we were at something special and I want to emphasize how awesome the musicians were. There were no backing tracks. Everyone played and it was a real treat to watch them pull it off so well. They played the new album from beginning to end without a bum note and that is impressive. Upon returning for an encore, they played the recent post-album song HONG KONG, which is featured on the new Warchild HELP charity album. They brought out a chinese harpist and finally out to the front came Damon Albarn, who I hate, to sing front and center. He seemed humble and appreciative and not a douche. He probably still is a douche, but this was a genuine moment for even though I hate this guy, which I might have mentioned, I had to respect him for this one night for doing something very cool and very special. Well done.

F

No comments: