15.3.06

The Early Candidates

Sorry for the lack of communication. Uncle duty was yet again awesome and a very sad Cameron J Bradish left his beloved NYC for his home in Montreal on Monday. And I promptly fell asleep. On 8th Ave. During his stay, I was suddenly ovewhlemed with new music pouring in from all quaters. And believe it or not, my first two candidates for Album Of The Year emerged.

The first is the incredible POWDER BURNS by Greg Dulli and his Twilight Singers, which is on constant rotation and blowing my fucking mind. With age, Dulli is getting angrier and harder and the new CD (not due out til May, but thanks to Brandt, a promo was obtained), to the point where the intro to the record TOWARD THE WAVES and the first track I'M READY, have been described as "aggressiony" (meaning my former band). Dulli is ON and he is pissed and while taking a new route and rawer edge in his production, he seems to enter a very fresh and live terrain. Also, and guys correct me if I'm wrong, this is the first TS album to fully utilize the awesome drumming skills of Bobby Macintyre, who is a beast and gives this album a whole lot of muscle. Also, It's awesome to see Dulli go further with the use of strings, for which I am a sucker for. Another great album from a vital and important artist.

Speaking of vital and important, the meteoric rise of MORRISSEY continues with his new one RINGLEADER OF THE TORMENTORS, which could be the album the defines his later solo career moreso than the previous record. I've only heard a shitty rip of it, but the songs are there, the musicians are top notch and Moz seems hungry as fuck to be relevant. Tony Visconti in the producers chair is a match made in heaven and man does this seem like the one. I reserve further judgement till I hear the mastered version, but dang this is sweet.

Unless Peter Hook puts out a Monaco anthology in the next year, the best reissue/anthology of 2006 is going to the MISSION Anthology, which is two cds carefully put together by Mr. Hussey himself and featuring rare and unreleased material as well the hits (but done in a cool way where he includes single versions and other assorted remixes that have never appeared on CD before). He does extensive liner notes as well that contains great anecdotes about the band and the songs. This is a perfect example of how an anthology should be made. The mastering is great and in light of the Sisters debacle last week, this is a nice reminder of how great all that stuff was. Hussey 1. Eldritch 0.

Also, lowfi versions of some of the new Primal Scream tracks have begun floating. I have a feeling there's going to be a large divide in the MOG camp on this album. It's gonna be me and G singing COUNTRY GIRL all year and everyone else going back to Xterminator. The Primals have gone back to the rock and while it might not be the right move to make at this point in their career, it could be a fun direction (if they let Mani loose).

Speaking of album of the year, Brandt and I caught up last night at the studio and he finally finished transferring all the files into our new Abelton Live set up. Honestly, this is gonna be worth the wait. The album sounding huge and alive, and once we get the proper overdubs and final vocals down, I think this is gonna be the keeper of keepers. It's exciting to see the progress gain more momentum at such a high quality. Ace. Also, I have finally ordered my new Powermac and man am I excited for this thing to arrive. Sure, there are going to be a lot of holdups as everyone transfers their software over to the new Intel based Mac's, but it wil be worth it. Thank god Abelton is going to have a version of Live for this asap.

Good times.

F

No comments: