7.3.06

The Catch Up

I've been out of touch, but for good reason. I was called in for Emergency Uncle Duty. Nephew has Canadian Spring Break this week and the babysitter cancelled, so plans were made and a trip to Montreal was put into effect and I spent all of Saturday and Sunday travelling back and forth via Amtrak to Montreal which was quick, painless, relaxing and fun. But LONG. However, sister in law found a great Korean place in Montreal so it was the big win dinner. Nephew remains well behaved and is good to travel with. We borrowed his moms portable DVD player and STAR WARS was in effect. A fun time.

Before that, on Friday, I was Irene's guest at Flavorpill's DJ series at the Guggenheim Museum. I had never been to one of these events, and the beer was free and I was promised I wouldn't have to wait on a line. This weeks guest was hipster superstar DJ Carlos D of Interpol. My feelings about Interpol are well documented on this blog (great first album, boring second record, shit live show, yet a band I always keep an eye hoping to love), and while I think Carlos D is a good musician, I think of him less as a person/celebrity.

So onto the event. Imagine throwing the bulk of the hipster universe in a museum on a Friday night. Combine it with bridge and tunnel and then cap it off with Interpol fans. in the corner, add Carlos D. This all has the makings of a diaster. It wasn't, but it was certainly a clusterfuck. Carlos D played exactly what you expected him to play: good, safe stuff. Yes, he plays cool bands, like Echo and The Bunnymen and Ministry, but he plays the ones you KNOW, the ones you see on VH1 Classics. And honestly, thats not bad. The evening was more enjoyable when Irene and I were away from masses, walking through the museum, which is awesome, and the Flavorpill people I met were nice, so it was a nice date and yes she didn't make me wait on a line, so kudos to her. The idea of these events there is cool, and this was well done. Impressive

F

10 comments:

mjg. said...

i hope Ash doesn't read this since i talked him out of going because of the lines...but funny you mention the lines because you had heard this too.

hey frank, maybe you could include OTHER people next time...you know...just sayin'

brandtgassman said...

I would rather go see The Go Station and Editors co-headline a show at Hiro.

F.J. said...

Yeah Matt, I was a guest, cause this is nothing I would ever have invited my friends to. I can promise you would have hated this on every level.

fuss said...

How was the VHS or Beta DJ set? I wanted to go but hipsters + me not drinking = violence.

mjg. said...

i find it amusing that fuss talks about not drinking when the picture next to her name is of her drinking. i'm not talking smack...i actually find it funny.

i also find it amusing that brandt likes a band called the GO station. i might be outing myself as someone who refuses to listen to anything made since 1999, but that's also funny.

brandtgassman said...

I don't know if "like" is how I would describe my feelings about The Go Station. Matt, I'm getting you a sarcasm detector for your birthday.

mjg. said...

and i'll get you some better writers

brandtgassman said...

Listen Ebbhead... your writers are way behind mine these days, so save your money.

mjg. said...

if you could please account for the times where your writers are ahead of mine, i, along with most (well, maybe someone might care) within mogworld would love to know about it.

brandtgassman said...

... classic spotted dick served on Irish soda bread: Spotted mick.