12.11.05

"I AM OUTSIDE THE VENUE WITH CARLOS D"

So the AGAIN reunited Bauhaus rolled into town last night. It's a curious reunion (to me at least), as their first reunion, in 1998 was really fucking sweet (check out the live GOTHAM DVD which happily Mattagement took me to the taping of), but then was followed up with..well...nothing. At least Bauhaus wise. Peter Murphy made a few excellent stateside appearances after and I believe we were at the last ever Love and Rockets gig, but I'm curious as to the motivations behind such a tour. The one thing I had heard was that they were touring to make some money to record a new album, which is an excellent idea and something I hope they do.

So we rolled into the new Nokia Theatre in Times Square, which is a great venue if you are as tall as Matt Gentile or taller (Ash will score here), but not so great for us normal-height folks. Drinks are of course way too expensive, but honestly, having a new venue like this in NYC is great, and reminds me of the way old days of going into that same area to the now defunct Academy, which was a great venue (made famous for Ash doing his "running man" dance during a Prototype 909 gig and for some super fucking gigs, I.e early NIN, Duran acoustic, Jesus Jones and the 30 Juliana Hatfield gigs we went to).

But let me sidetrack here for a minute...Dan Hamill, always late, this time RUDELY so, especially since I was holding the tickets, shoots me a text from outside the venue that read: "I AM OUTSIDE THE VENUE WITH CARLOS D" (For the blissfully unaware: Carlos D is the douche hipster bassist from Interpol and local celeb laughing stock and the subject of my girlfriend's recent Halloween costume). We of course think this is a joke but when we head back upstairs the door of the venue, sure enough there's Dan Hamill standing next to Carlos D, who is not being admitted in as a VIP and is forced to walk in with the citizens (and quite despondent about doing so). So is Dan Hamill by the way, but this was rather enjoyable. Danny Boy is being checked for Herpes as we speak.

Just as Bauhaus hit the stage, the venue's staff open the side VIP balcony, and the shorter members of the party (Brandt and myself. Irene doesnt count cause she was wearing heels) were able to secure an excellent spot with a great fucking view from above. So suddenly, this is already a great gig...

So here's Bauhaus onstage and the first thing I'm thinking is: I don't know what drugs they make for the over 45 rock set these days, but fucking AGAIN we have aging rockers looking incredible and healthy. I don't understand it, but I want a prescription in 12 years. (HOWEVER, the wonderful Daniel Ash has lived in LA a bit too long and looks a bit too mall-goth. He's very LA. Irene summed it up best when she described him as looking like a "Goth Tommy Lee" Ouch!) Then the second thing I'm thinking, as they start with an excellent version of BURNING FROM THE INSIDE, is that somehow this mystery drug makes you play better music as well cause these guys are dead on. I'm shocked beyond belief. They were good last time, but not great like this. Maybe it's the venue, but they are incredible.

The one thing that jarred me was that Peter Murphy was no longer the wild frontman of his youth. Instead he's now a distingused older gentlemen who focuses less on his stage persona than he does his singing and in the end, we all win for it, because his voice is in incredible form. VERY powerful. I recalled he was also very calm during his recent solo tours as well and then the realization hit: he's probaby 50 years old and he's acting his age! Why they hell should he roll around like a fucking bat anymore. He's earned it. Smart. I also like his current look, which I can only describe to you as something akin to a French Pervert (and something Dan Hamill should look into).

Anyhow, hat a great set list! Everything from IN THE FLAT FIELD to SHE'S IN PARTIES and one of my true favourites HAIR OF THE DOG was played (which made up for the fact that they didn't play SPIRIT). The sound and lighting were perfect and despite Peter Murphy's elder statesman persona, David J and Daniel Ash turned it up a few notches and really went all out. Kevin Haskins is a human drum machine. He reminds me of Bill Rieflin in a lot of ways. He keeps the ship tight and fierce. I especially enjoyed their giving Daniel Ash center stage for an great version of SLICE OF LIFE. What's a Bauhaus gig without covers? We got ZIGGY, TELEGRAM SAM, and ironically enough a cover of John Cale's ROSEGARDEN FUNERAL OF SORES. Maybe Cale will play it tonight!

With the exception of Daniel Ash's wardrobe, Bauhaus don't play up any of the goth cliches, which I truly appreciate and believe is the reason they have surivived to this day. I never saw them as goth other than the imagry and such, but that's just me. I aways interpreted BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD (which they ended with) as a tribute to a dead actor. Nothing more. They would probably agree with me.

Have you heard about this "Instant Live" CD thing where you can actually buy a copy of the gig you were at like 20 minutes after the show? They had that at this and this is the hot shit. Brandt I decided to do this and after waiting on a huge line (which moved pretty fast once the discs showed up) and it was totally worth it. I'm listening to the gig now and the quality is great and it came in a REALLY nice 2 CD package. I love this new technology and looking forward to it becoming the norm at gigs. (For your industrial goofs: Ex Chemlab drummer Servo is listed the drum tech on this tour on the CD).

So with everyone buzzing from a gig we all universally enjoyed, drinks were had at the wonderful Hell's Kitchen dive BELLVUE, which is my quickly becoming my favourite place to hang with the Pac. Lurch joined us after seeing CAPOTE (maybe he will have a review on HIS blog), and it was great catching up a bit with Mattagement, who is just back from the rioting country of France and is now kicking the aggression's ass into gear, supposedly.

A great night of great music and super company. Certainly one of the gigs of the year.

F

No comments: