18.11.05

Caught Up

Yes, yes, I know. I've been out of contact. For this, I apologize. Last week was a bit rough, and while I cannot in any way shape or form complain about my life in general, I would like to vent about my shit day Friday when, at 8am on my way to Long Island for the funeral, the car (which I borrowed from my folks decided to take a dive and overheat IN the Midtown Tunnel. Friends, this SUCKS. I was stuck for ours, thus missing the funeral, for which I am gutted, as you can see in this picture here My only consolation was that I made it to the wake the day before to pay my respects, but I feel horrible still about missing the funeral. Luckily, Frank DeSanto Senior (or as he likes to refer to himself as "the Father, NOT the son" has an office nearby in Long Island City, but at the time was waiting in Stewart Manor to have breakfast with me. Kudos to senior for saving the day and bailing me out. What I learned was being stuck in LIC in a suit in a white BWM sucks major. However, it took hours, and even now, days later, the car is still fucked. To Robin, I aplogize, but I take great comfort in knowing a unified MOGpac were there to support you.

I spent the rest of Friday comatose on the couch watching the entire life story of Bret "Hitman" Hart on DVD. I was in no shape to be social as the emotions of the week just caught up to me and kicked me in the ass at some point while sitting in the car that morning. However, I have a nice girlfriend who makes sure I eat and play videogames and forces me to work on music, so life isn't that bad. I apologize to the nice international couple known as Liz and Purse for missing their anniversary, especially because their wedding was the coolest, most stress free wedding I have ever attended. Possibly lifechanging despite the cupcake on Lurch's back. Thats for another time, friends.

So Saturday, despite being a bit down still, yours truly made a rare appearance in Harlem to the home of Evan to play videogames on his new Xbox 360 with him, Lurch and Danny Boy. It's a sweet device,the 360, but I won't be getting one. I'm waiting on PS3. Once bored with Xbox, we played Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006 and I was a happy mark. We went out for soul food and then G, Lurch, myself and Irene had a very fun evening back at MOGworld eating Pizza and watching the legendary Paul Newman in SLAP SHOT, which is quite possibly the greatest sports movie ever made. Bar none. ok? Saturday, thanks to good friends and good times, saw the first signs of light at the end of my currrent depression tunnel. Now let me add that I'm being a tad melodramatic, per usual, because i may have had a shit week, but those are so rare that I have very little to complain about. But I'm allowed every now and then. Sometimes. Rarely. Occasionally.

Echo and the Bunnymen showed up at Irving and it was a mixed affair. I love them, I like the new album a lot, but the sound was crap, the pace was a bit Eh, and I think I was just tired. I've seen these guys at their height, it's a tough standard to hold them to. Set list was weird, but when they played the hits, they hit hard. Ending a set with OCEAN RAIN is always a smart choice. Nowhere near as good as when we saw them in the UK, but they certainly didn't suck.

I failed the mention that gig of the YEAR was last weekend and it was Mr. John Cale. John Cale was gig of the year. He was cooler now than he was 10, 20, 30 years ago. He was fierce, his band was tight and he played an excellent set of his classics as well as new material from his awesome BLACK ACETATE album, which is certainly in the top 10 this year. If i had only one complaint, it was that he didn't do enough of his solo (meaning just him onstage) pieces. However, considering that he OPENED with the Velvets VENUS IN FURS, how awesome his band was, and the fact that he ended it by himself performing I KEEP A CLOSE WATCH, I must officially declare this GIG OF THE YEAR. Basically, he ruled it, made you realize that Lou Reed is a poseur, and that living across the street from this man for 7 years was the best. I'm sure if Danny Boy was blogging this one, he would mention Mr. Cale's super head of hair.

There's a lot to look forward to this holiday weekend. The aggression rehearse for the first time in 3 years on Saturday (provided everyone shows up), Evan has secured a copy of Raw Vs. Smackdown 2006 for my ps2, and there might be some Turkey fun with my small cousin. Also, there is a WWF pay per view this weekend, which I am excited about because after a week of heartwrenching Eddie Guerrero tributes this week, I am excited about wrestling being fake again.

See you soon.

F

No comments: