10.3.05

Dear...

Dear Stephen Chow:

Back in February on this very blog I gave your KUNG FU HUSTLE a very lukewarm review. I felt it lacked in development and didn't have enough of your presence througout the film. What I may have failed to mention was that I watched it on a PAL bootleg on my laptop late at night from my couch. Recently, while during one of my routine patrols of the Chinatown DVD stores, I was able to obtain an official VCD of the film. Tonight, surrounded by G and Lurch (who were IN the movie theatre watching your KING OF COMEDY all those years ago), we ate some fish and chips and pausing only to flick on the O.C. to see the massively fucking incredible REVENGE OF THE SITH trailer, and watched a nice, clean properly subtitled copy of KUNG FU HUSTLE.

Well, I was wrong. Your movie is hilarious and awesome and makes a lot more sense with clear subtitles and picture. It's a wonderful homage to the genre and you have truly pushed the Kung Fu movie into the 21st Century. The FX were hilarious and the lads and I laughed quite a lot. I missed a lot of the subtlties the first time around and I commend you for being so thoughtful with the details. I stand by statement that SHAOLIN SOCCER is better film and HUSTLE could have used a little more of you in it, but it's a great film. I strongly urge all of you to go see it when it opens in this country next month.

Sincerely,

Frank Jeffrey

P.S. I would again like to apologize for my total fanboy behaviour when we met in San Diego back in 2002. I geeked massively and you were very nice and I'm sorry I was just very surprised to meet you, thanks.

1 comment:

mjg. said...

i watched said massively fucking incredible ROTS trailer 32 times, and cried (like a man) each time.