20.3.05

Black By Popular Demand

For the record, not only do I not agree with Ash's "parody" comment below (and by the way, Mister Repeato posted it 3 times and I had to edit them down), I find myself loving the NIN single more and more. Some will agree. Ash will of course compare it to something he believes to be a part of "popular music", which will give me a good laugh (I.e. comparing Johnny Marr to Aerosmith), when Ash should embrace the fact that he is blissfully ignorant of current commercial trends (or maybe, like Dan Hamill, that's a clever ruse and we're just a bunch of suckers). Embrace ignorance goddammit, it's one of the reasons you actually write and play good music. I also find Ash's comments Ironic, though don't take that to mean I think he is a parody in any way shape or form. If anything, I find him too progressive for his own good ;-)

Meanwhile, in the musical world, momentum is slowly gained on the Hypefactor record. Mixers have been chosen, deals are being made and Brandt is prepping the mix files. Like most of my favourite bands as of late, part of the HF record will be finished in Los Angeles, CA, which ironically, is where the bulk of the record was arranged (well, mostly on planes to and from L.A.) and is where the lyrics were mostly written. I still have a slim hope another mixer, my dream mixer, will take a crack at some of these tracks, but scheduling poses a supposed problem. I call it "pussbomb". Yeah, you heard me!

The last piece of the puzzle will be resolved this Wed when Mr. Charles makes his long awaited return to the again re-arranged Bridcage to lay his bass styles over the last of the HF songs. As I believe I have written before, it was decided awhile ago to have him come in and replace the rest of the rythmn bass to give the record some consistancy. The album, as written is a bass mess in that most of the basslines were performed by either myself, Ash or Robin. Sometimes there are up to three different bassists in one song! Charles can take all that good stuff and make it great and consistant. The record needs that. Plus, he does a super job and he makes me laugh. This is a pre-requisite.

In other news, I again ran into the drummer the other day on my corner. She makes me laugh too. Love her.

Meanwhile, with Brandt in the kitching prepping the mixes, the main studio was wide open, so I'm currently filling it working on the remix I was born to do: Saintface's HAND ON MY HEART. Easily one of my favourite Saintface songs ever, I have been chomping at the bit to remix this for awhile. I've been seeing Peter quite a bit lately, and he was finally able to get the parts together. I've been doing a lot of industrial remixes of late (Implant, Chemlab) so to have the chance to do a remix for something not only non-industrial, but for my favourite band has really re-energized me. It's coming along really well, and I'm dead excited for this. Possiboy too excited as I went and found Peter yesterday to tell him about it. Sleepy from having played a gig in Boston the night before, he said to me "dude, don't tell me, let me be surprised". However, I think he is excited as well. Stay tuned.

See the RING2. The original aggression singer wrote it. That should be enough for you to go.

F

2 comments:

ashley said...

My awareness of "what the kids are listening to" is the reason I posted about NIN. I can practically SEE Trend thinking - "ok, the kids like these Interpol guys and something called indie rock. OK, let's see... Fender Jaguar guitar - check. Yong dudes posturing in a rock band format - check. I'm old and out of touch, and STILL yelling and screaming about nothing that's actually important, or things that ceased being important three years ago - check."

mjg. said...

what happened in 2002 that suddenly makes screaming about ice cream not so important?