25.3.04

Random Musings From Boss MOG

While I don't have anything specific to report, I will just jot down my thoughts today:

1. Running into Joe Saintface yesterday on the subway was an enjoyable experience. Two bassists in mid album on the N train train complaining about their bandmates is the best way to ride down to Union Square.

2. Jackie Can V Donnie Yen Part II. Jackie and Donnie will have their second on-screen throw down in the TWINS EFFECT 2, the sequel to last year's surprisingly fun movie popcorn movie starring HK chick pop duo Twins. Jackie V Donnie Part I was in the extremely awesome SHANGHAI KNIGHTS, but the fight was too short (something I have told the director repeatedly) and I was left wanting more. Hopefully this will deliver. Jackie Chan's SON, in his 20's, is the male lead of this movie which scares me and makes me feel incredibly old. It was almost 20 years ago when I was doing a Jackie Chan fanzine speculating that he might have a wife and child. Sure enough, I was right!

3. Skinny Puppy's new album is released in May. I am cautiously optimistic. I feel deep inside that it will be awesome, but I feel it will not be for the diehards. Good I say. Bands need to move forward. These are not the same men we knew 10 years ago. However, they are no less talented than what they were. However, including the douche with the bad hair from Static X on a track is the first red flag. I hope I'm far away from Ash when this album comes out.

4. Meanwhile, Eric Powell has caused the industrial version of 9/11 with a vicious email to a rivet fan who is not so happy with Eric's direction with his new band, Ringer. Granted, he was provoked by this kid. The intial Email wasn't exactly Roger Ebert quality in terms of it being a well-constructed commentary, but to respond like that wasn't the coolest thing to do either. I understand Eric's need to branch out musically, I personally don't like the new music at all, but what i dont understand why Eric, according to his E-mail, walked away from so many record and management deals? Everyone's circumstance's are different, granted, and it's certainly not my place to speculate. Eric's put out some great music, but I think cooler heads should have previaled. Eric's frightening dismissal of the 16 Volt legacy post-WISDOM is more shocking and disappointing to me than any of this.

5. Meanwhile, on a better note, I heard some demos by a well established I-rock band who many love and have been hoping for a "return to form" from for many years. What I have heard thus far ranks in the "so far so good" in terms of harkening back to an older style that they made famous. It will certainly be the best thing they have done in ages and one new song in particular might be one of their best ever. Stay tuned. Thanks to you know who for hooking me up with that.

6. This I just read on Cracknation.com and it pisses me off to high heaven. It's regarding the second album from one of my favorite new bands, Defragmentation (who recently did an awesome remix for us): "Well...unfortunately...Martin has decided to sideline this release until more copies of Self Construct are sold.  Which means, this album may never get released, unless a resurgence in popularity of their 1st disc occurs (considering the zero promotion that it was given...well, I'm not expecting it).  Jeff's contractually bound to Underground Inc as well, so this really fuckin blows...he's pretty much stuck. " To say this angers me is an understatement. It's a bullshit excuse from a label that needs to be developing young talent and supporting established acts (READ: CHEMLAB, ACUMEN) that can actually make money for the label if they had the proper resources. I could write a book on this, just based on the past year of OXIDIZER, which has taken a large toll on me professionally and personally. Bullshit. You wonder why the "scene" is dead. Dumb.

7. Rumours abound that the new Episode of Star Wars will either be called "RISE OF THE EMPIRE" or "THE CREEPING FEAR". Gee, which one of THOSE suck?

8. In other Star Wars news, season 2 of CLONE WARS starts tomorrow. Bring it!

9. My dentist cleaned my teeth the other day with COOKIE DOUGH flavoured cleaning stuff. He also has full INTERNET and CABLE while you are actually IN THE CHAIR. He is also worried about my manager/agent/advisor and thinks she is "all over the place". She's been his patient for years and he just figures this out now? Also, he has robbed Dan Hamill of thousands of dollars. So thanks to Dan Hamill, I can blog while getting my teeth done. This to me is the greatest.

10. I'm REALLY glad i didn't go to Wolfsheim.

Bonus Musing: I wish Matt Gentile posted more.

I'll tell you about HELLBOY tomorrow.

F

No comments: