10.3.09

A Gig and Two Flicks

There's a few things I've failed to mention, so let me get you caught up.



Last week, I traveled through the snow to BK to check out my friend Wade Alin play with his band The Atomica Project. I hadn't seen him since he did sound for the last Chemlab tour. Wade like some of us, used to front an industrial band (Christ Analogue, whom the big A played with at the Kidd's debut gig in DC), and now has a project that reflects his current non industrial ways. I've always liked it on record, as we still say, so I was curious to see it live. Man, I'm glad I did cause it's REALLY good live. It's a simple set up with some very talented people, Wade on bass running stuff off his laptop, a keyboardist/DJ a drummer and a wonderful vocalist named Lauren who just has tons of charisma. It's a trip hop kind of sound, but without the bullshit pretention, and I think that's what hit me the most live. There's an honesty to it, that I really liked, and probably why I've always liked Wade's music. He does it for the right reasons. He and I grabbed a pint after and caught up, and I'm happy to report he has a lovely family, a good band, and is going to be mixing some new Jared stuff, which I am excited about. He also has a sweet beard. This was a really good night and I encourage you to check them out! http://www.theatomicaproject.com

Later in the week, the Mrs and I went to a screening of a movie called SUNSHINE CLEANING, which stars the lovely duo of Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. It's a very clever and enjoyable indie flick about two sisters who run a cleaning services that handles crime scenes or deceased homes. Irene loves Amy Adams but I walked out of this movie with a crush on Emily Blunt, who is just great in it. Sure it might be considered a "chick flick" but I think it's more than that. Great supporting cast, especially Alan Arkin. Also, it was shot all in the parts of New Mexico where we did THE SPIRIT, so a lot of fun seeing some familiar locales.

Finally, WATCHMEN. What can I say without opening a can of worms? The reactions amongst our crew were shocking to me. My verdict, it's ok, its good. I don't think it's a great movie in terms of structure, tone and pacing, but I thought the respect into HOW it was adapted was obvious but in the end the director was too committed to the source material and it hurt the movie. But my god, did you see that hilarious sex scene? I lol'd so hard cause it was basically Cinemax (and it missed the point) As we have said for years, a 12 hour cable series was the best option for this, but it's not to be. I hope it does well though, its a noble effort. It's not Superman 4 as Lurch would say...FIGHT TIME!

More in a bit.

F

No comments: