16.2.09

Conning

It's been awhile, so let's get right into it. 09 is a weird fucking year so far. Very polarizing. Things alternate between shit and awesome, and honestly, it's a little frustrating. Anyhow...

One of the fun things was NY Comic Con last weekend. It was my first Con as an official comic book writer (more on that in a miniute), so for me this was a big deal. The other half joined me as got to see a lot of old friends and make a bunch of new ones. I won't lie to you, I have been bitten by the writing bug. I love it and want to do more of it. Hopefully I will get that chance. I did a few panels, the main was was a surprisingly well attended PULP panel where I sat up with a series of Pulp writers, publishers etc. discussing the future of pulp, it's characters etc. I'm attached to a few film involving some known pulp characters, so that's what got me up there. After, I actually was asked to possibly write what would be my first prose work, which I'm really excited about.

I got to go to the DC Freelancers party, which was honestly, a blast. I got to hang with my dear friends Jeff and Shawn and through the evening got to spend time with everyone from Geoff to Jimmy to Tony to Mikie and so on. I even got to thank the gentleman who added me to the comp list (at last!!) Of course, I got sidetracked discussing Wrestlemania at length with the man known as Katz before heading off with Irene to Heathers to see Vik and Roberto, who were back in town for Jacky's baby/wedding madness. Awesome.

The second day of the Con saw me taking a lot of meetings, doing business both old and new, and introducing my former employer for what he called his "Keynote Address". I had prepped an intro, but my hungover ass made me ramble a bit, but I got a few laughs, he loved the intro and it was a fun panel. I did some press also that should be hitting the webs shortly. Speaking of press, I did a big ass interview in this magazine, called WRITE NOW which is about, well, writing and edited by the awesome Danny Fingeroth:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=733&zenid=4f953ef8c7e9c62dff9e5cf22fc3b5e1

It's actually called "The F.J. DeSanto Interview", which I think is hilarious. Anyway, a nice thing to have.

I didn't buy much at the Con other than some wrestling DVD's, however, Irene got me a sweet Sinestro Corps Tshirt which I have been wearing to death. I also got a free Negation trade, the 4th vol in the lost great Sci fi series from Bedard and pelletier, that I desperately tried to turn into a feature many years ago. Ironically the director I attached to it has the # 1 movie out in the country this weekend. *sigh* However, I ran into Bedard and had him autograph it, which was sweet. I'm sure the Kidd will be stealing said volume soon.

After checking out the Star Wars panel (with cameos from Kyle and Jaime), Irene and I went to a screening of Kyle's film FANBOYS, which finally opened. It was great to see it again, especially in a room of Kyle's friends and family. I am so proud of my Jedi comrade. We went to the afterparty for a bit, then grabbed a quiet dinner and came home. I was so beat that second night that I was asleep before 11 and slept almost 12 hours. That meant I had to go back to the Con on Sunday, especially to see the Jeff Kinney's Wimpy Kid panel (we had a nice hello after) and to see Evan host the panel for the new WANTED videogame, which looks pretty sweet. Evan is a good host!

Sunday ended with what is becoming a welcome occurrence, The Matt Gentile Cameo. He was at The Travel Show, also at Javits, so we had a nice mini hang out. More on him in the next entry. I would say it was a successful con both professionally and personally, the only thing missing was of course, Jerwa. But thats what San Diego is for!

I might have missed a few things, but there will be more posts soon. Ok?

F

No comments: