23.11.08

Lost In Time...

Wow, I'm incredibly behind. Lot's happened, hard to remember. It's just how it is now. This blog, which was originally just supposed to document our musical lives, eventually became a forum for my musical adventures simply because everyone else is too goddamn lazy, and them morphed into a blog documenting my adventures. Sadly, this year will have many gaps missing, as it's been a year of change, adjustment, and excitement. It's a shame some moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain (you're welcome Bob).

So when looking at where we left off, I can't even recall what has happened in between. I know I did things like see David Wain's ROLE MODELS (which G and I enjoyed, especially for all the State cameos), the new James Bond movie (which is getting a bad rap for reasons I don't understand other than it's way too manic and not nearly as epic as the last one), and tried to watch John Woo's RED CLIFF. Jesus, if only I had a Day of Rest (yes, Bob).

I've been regularly in the studio, in the seriously real home stretch on the HF album. There have been Bozu Brunches and Dokebi reunions. Yesterday was Dumont burger. I don't know why I equate the band with food, but then again, all I did in the aggression was eat Wendys. Now I'm paying for that spending 4-5 days a week on a fucking precor trying to looking front man fit. We've knocked out the song CREATION PHASE, the last song of the album. Lyrical ideas are coming easy for it, which is a good sign. I listen to the demo nonstop and think we have something very very special here. Maybe one of our best. Needless to say B and I have worked our asses off on this song, and it feels really awesome. Yesterday, I went to work on it some more, but the power was all fucked up so Brandt and I literally sat on the couch for hours and hours watching the new Soda Stereo live DVD and the still amazing Duran SING BLUE SILVER doc from 1984. Hilariously good. Al made cookies. Life is awesome.

After weeks of not seeing the MOGpac, I think I have spent quality time with just about everyone except Ash, of course, but he sends me texts from movie theatres that play the SPIRIT trailer, so kudos. Random run ins with Club Superstar on St. Marks leads to entertainment of the highest level and the other night, I met Queens and Harlem and now Village for drinks at Kennedys till close. Quality.

The WEDDING is starting to take shape, so this is occupying a lot of time as well. With schedules such as ours, it's often difficult to get into the groove of this, but things are slowly coming into focus. This has been a relatively easy process thus far, but I know I have just jinxed it by saying that. Anyhow, that should happen next year, I think ;-) We have a reverend now, not of the religious kind, but someone your hero can drink with, so that's good. This wedding thing should be fun. Please.

Spirit related stuff. Movie's out on Christmas day. You HAVE to see it. Please. Make my first a hit. You can't imagine how much sleep I lose over this fucking movie. Hey, I love it. Here's the poster, squint hard and you'll see my name:



The other news is that I'm co-writing 3 issues of the comic. Here's the info:

THE SPIRIT #26
Written by Michael J. Uslan & F.J. DeSanto
Art by Justiniano & Walden Wong
Cover by Brian Bolland
An unmissable and gorgeous 3-part vision of The Spirit’s female foils begins here! Star penciller Justiniano joins The Spirit film producers and new series writers Michael Uslan and F.J. DeSanto to bring you the heartbreaking tale of Silken Floss, the whip-smart super-scientist whose love for The Spirit is rivaled only by her ambition! And when the knock at the door of opportunity comes from the gloved fist of the Octopus, there’s no telling who she’ll betray to get her way.
On sale February 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Here's the cover of the first issue. It's pretty sweet that Bolland is doing the covers. Nice way out the gate.



So there are three issues, if we do any more beyond that, I have no idea, but getting a DC paycheck was another lifetime milestone achieved. I am however, bit by the comic bug now and hope to do more.

I'm sure there is a lot more to tell you, but alas, I've run out of time. But this is a decent catch up, yes? I'm off to Montreal next week for nephew fun and then I think there are two trips to LA before the year is out. Then maybe some sleep, but I doubt that.

F

No comments: