5.11.08

I'm a little reluctant to discuss the election here. As most of you know, this blog is for entertainment purposes and honestly a lifetime of star wars, comics and music doesn't exactly make me an expert on politics, etc., but since 9/11 I've been on a quiet journey to expand my seemingly narrow mindset to include the world beyond the Batcave and focus especially this election. So instead of going to the NME and WWE.com every morning, over the last year, I find myself going to cnn, politico, huffington, etc. more and more. Also, I also have a weird crush on Rachel Maddow.

So this election was the first time I felt a generational shift, that something, someone belonged to me and not my parents generation. Maybe this is how they felt in the 60's with JFK, MLK and all the other initials, but I felt something positive for a change. This might sound weird, but the last time I felt this strongly about things was after having lived through 9/11, meaning, concern for my country, for my world, etc. But whereas I felt something had broken inside me then, I feel after the election that a little part of that was fixed. Maybe it's because I'm engaged now, maybe it's because of Cameron, maybe it's because I'm now at a new job surrounded by intelligent and politically minded people. Regardless, all of that has been particularly helpful. I think some of you who have known me for years would get a kick out of seeing me discuss politics, but I'll probably keep the aloof mask on. I feel I don't know enough yet. Maybe I actually do know a few things now, but when I see Vik, or Jenni, and others who are so well researched, so active, so involved, i feel like a pretender. But this time I don't as much. Yep, I donated and I believed. And then I crossed my fingers cause I simply could not imagine a different conclusion.

So when it came time last night, I was sick to my stomach. Sick that we'd be fooled again and this would all be for naught. There were various invitations to parties, gatherings, etc. but Irene and I couldn't bear to be around people should something go wrong. So we sat. And watched. And waited. Irene was particularly violent about Virginia, her former state, embarrassed at the idea that it might go red (thankfully it didn't). I could barely eat. We tried to watch other shows and go back to the election, but that really didn't work.

But then shit happened. The right way. For a change. And when it was over, I was overcome with a sense of calm. I felt the right man won and the change we had been dreaming for was at least a step closer to happening. On a personal level, I felt seeing a President of mixed race was amazing to see, but even moreso for Irene. It's something my nephew, also mixed, can embrace as he goes on his own journey in life. It's also something my own child, who obviously will be mixed (half hero/half asian) can point to. That was really special for me and Irene. Maybe this is how they felt on Endor at the end of Return of the Jedi. I know, sometimes I have to put it my own terms. While I didn't blow up a shield generator, I voted, I helped. And it worked.

We watched those people go mental in Chicago. I couldn't believe it was real, honestly. Then I drank half a bottle of Kurosawa (thanks bob), ate some homemade cookies the women at the school we voted at made, and went to bed a happy boy.

*However, some of the hate remains because of this goddamn proposition 8 bullshit in California. Its frustrating because we can't vote directly on it and make it go away. a human being is a fucking human being and they should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want without Arnold fucking Schwartzenegger telling them what they can and can't do. This is the one big black eye on this country. Its like these idiots are saying "yeah we're getting past the race thing, but we still have a ways to go with the homos" fuck you. *sigh*

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled MOGprogramming. This is as deep as I can handle in public.

F

No comments: