9.12.07

Tramps Like Us

It's been a long week. Stressful workwise, fun Uncle wise. Sister In Law and Nephew decided to stay a little longer which was good as the ladies were getting along and the little man and I had a lot on the agenda of things to do that men do (buy comics, play videogames, eat candy).

On Friday night though, Danny, Lurch, B, and I went to some pretentious "theatre space" on Bleeker to check out the pretentious new band from Vincent Gallo, called RRIICCEE. Ok so this is supposed to be an "improv" band, and you know how much we all love Gallo. I don't have to get into that. Irene was going to go, but bailed to hang with sister and nephew. After eating some Indian with them, I met Danny and Lurch at Cameron's fave bar, Tom and Jerry's for a pre gig drink. I had a really stressful day before this (which i think is why I am home sick now typing this to you), so Danny, being Danny, tried to get me to do a shot of Jaeg. We've been over this, and as Laura will tell you, I know how to Just Say No to Jaeg. However, that doesnt mean I am anti shot, so while queens and Harlem drank their Jaeg, your hero kept it Grandpa Al style and had him some Whiskey. It was just enough to take the edge off, and believe me, I sure was about to need that edge off.

Let me state for the record, that Lurch and Danny had a few drinks prior to the few drinks with me. Danny, in particular was in the rare form. Luckily for Gallo and company, there were no drinks served at this place, because then there would have been real trouble. The first sign of RFK (meaning, get the fuck out of here) was when Michael Pitt was sitting two rows in front of us. Then, the "band" came out (Gallo wearing KARATE KID style headband) and were met by a polite round of applause and Danny cheering "RRIIICCEEEEEEEEEE" like he was at Summerslam. And then the "band" picked up their instruments. And I can't even begin to tell you how fucking terrible this was. This is what I imagine ex-aggression members are doing with loopmaking half asses somewhere on Long Island, except any ex-aggression member could do something better than this turgid pile of shit. Literally, I cannot describe it to you, so I will let these excerpts from a post off Brooklyn Vegan explain it to you (and they are being VERY kind here):

"RRIICCEE were absolutely godawful.

What an absolute disaster. These were long, drawn-out, excruciatingly boring post-rock improvisations. It seemed like one lame "intro" track after another, no one seemed to enjoy it. Not the band, not the crowd, no one.

Complete and utter waste of time and money, and such pretentiousness from every angle. I left after 45 minutes because I just couldn't take their boring crap anymore.

Best way to describe the music: imagine if Sigur Ros had a lobotomy, ridding them of any sort of style, emotion, or direction in their music. (Not an insult to Sigur Ros, I think they're awesome) But this lame post-rocky shit has got to stop. PROGRESS DAMN YOU!

As I was leaving I caught a glimpse of the merch table:

EXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION T-SHIRTS: $50

EXTREMELY LIMITED EDITION POSTERS: $100


This show should have cost no more than $7 for what it was. Now I can join the chorus of people everywhere and say "Fuck you Vincent Gallo"."

OK one thing I did fail to mention was Danny laughing at the merch guy before the gig started for those insane prices. Hilarious. Within minutes of them "performing", Brandt was texting his girlfriend, Danny and I were texting each other things such as "DDOOMMIINNOO" (see earlier blog entry titled WORST NIGHT EVER to learn with that means) and Lurch was asleep. All I could hear was the sound of Gallo's head going further up his own ass.

This was unfuckingbearable. And then Danny, via text, declared something that hasn't been declared since we were 14: "We Should WALL STREET". Now even you diehards don't even know what the fuck that means, but let me explain. As young men, we and some young ladies went to go see the movie WALL STREET and decided this movie was the worst movie ever made (we were young), and we thought we were cool ass to have walked out right in the middle and declared this movie a failure to everyone in the theatre. It's the absolute last resort in all things MOGpac and only Gallo could bring us to this point. I then turned to Danny and said "OK, you're right, at the end of this song, we Wall Street" Brandt and Lurch had no idea what the fuck that meant, but seemed to catch on pretty quick as we got our shit and walked the fuck out. Danny of course turned to everyone and said something like "GOOOD NIGHT RIIIIICEEE!!!!!" very loudly. We found the dude with the afro from The Strokes (who is at all things Gallo in NYC) sneaking out as well and of course danny called him out with a very loud "SEE YOU LATER STROKES!!" or "HEY STROKES, DON'T FORGET YOUR RRIICCEE". Something like that...

And then we went to Swifts for a drink. I only stayed for one as I had to take nephew and Sister in Law to the train at 7am, but man I needed that drink. Then we discussed the latest internet sensation: 2girls1cup. Danny's reaction is priceless.

The next morning, I got the Montreal crew off on their train and found myself feeling ill and unable to go back to bed. Thus, I read the entirety of Chris Connelly's memoir CONCRETE, BULLETPROOF, INVISIBLE & FRIED: MY LIFE AS A REVOLTING COCK. This is a fun and breezy read. Not as in depth as I would like, but again my knowledge of this stuff, along with Brandt, is already pretty in depth. I always love Connelly's writing and this was no exception. I would like to have had a little more insight into the people I have admired over the years, and I felt he short shifted his own solo career (of which I am a big fan) but this book is a great read if you have some knowledge of the cast of characters. Someone needs to write a definitive book of the time period when they're not working on the HF album.

And here I am now, home sick, reading manga nonstop, trying to get through Bret Hart's wayyyyy to deep book, working on a tune or two and listening to the wealth of CD's I have purchased or stolen as of late. I was supposed to be traveling tonight, but that is now pushed a week so I can enjoy NY a bit more and hopefully see Jared and co on Saturday.

F

No comments: