20.9.06

Back It Up

Please please PLEASE forgive my lack of communication. While some of you may think I have been delinquent, or even, dare I say, shitty, you who truly know of course neither is the case. Upon my return from Los Angeles I was shocked to learn that our internet had taken a dive. Luckily, it was just a burnt modem, so here we are back in business at the world of MOG. Now with Fresh New Net! So let's not delay any further and find out where things are at:

Los Angeles was again a nice place to visit. I truly suggest staying at the Bel Age hotel off of Sunset. It was the top notch. A huge room, very comfortable and it allowed me to work on the tunes out on the balcony and to entertain guests such as Dr. Fury himself and our favourite Business Affairs Exec. Work was productive, the downtime gave me musical opportunities, and the weather co-operated. Good friends were in abundance as friends both far and near all seemed to be in LA that week. A highlight was spending an afternoon at Mel's Diner on Sunset with one Ethan Novak, he formerly of Acumen and the man responsible for the drums on the aggression's masterpiece, FLOOD. Ethan is a solid guy who works his ass off and I respect him lots and lots. I'm excited to have yet another comrade on the West Coast.

Anyhow, New York is again a better place to live. I actually felt a tinge of regret when leaving LA this time, though that's probably because of the hotel and Irene's mom's cooking), but as proven time and time again, I will kiss the ground of my beloved city which steals my heart everytime I see its skyline. Sleep has been at a premium, but I have again found the time to record shop (I strongly urge you all NOW to seek out the new Pulp reissues, as well as the reissue of John Cale's classic Paris 1919), and do the things I do here.

Sunday was class reunion day as Nitzer Ebb played down the block. Once again, the industrial brings people like Rob Fab (the aggression's label boss), and Todd Ryan (aggression's A&R) down to the city. They asked for burgers and I pointed their way to the Spurs on Houston. They were happy lads. Despite the aggression costing Rob Fab thousands he will never recoup, he still bought your hero a burger. Sugar. You know who to sign with, next big young industrial band that I will never listen to!

Anyhow, we had a mini reunion as the Brooklyn contingency: Ash, Matt and Brandt, made their way in for the NE gig. Running into the Saintface lads is always a good experionce. I of course came early to see my old comrade Bryan Black perform with his new band, MOTOR, who brought the techno to Irving. I can't lie to you, I like NE, but I don't love them the way Vikki or Leo, or Matt does (he is THE hardocre or hardcore, which I respect). I came to see what it was all aboot and it was good, but not enough to sustain my interest for more than an hour. So when that hour was up, Ash, Brandt, and later Irene, joined me for a few drinks at Shades of Green, most famous for what forever is known as the "Wayne Hussey Night", but that's for the biography, not the blog. This was a good evening of good friends catching up and plotting, scheming and all those things we do as they pertain to our musical lives.

I'm sorry this is so short, but I'm dozing and need to be well rested. Why? Well, for the live return of Kasabian tomorrow! ARRRR! NICE.

1 comment:

deckard said...

wait. you were away?