9.6.05

Lgay Recap


Industrial Never Happened
Originally uploaded by Hypefactor.
Well Satan has laid the fat touch on the East Coast cause it is hot as fuck here. However, it's quite good to be home. I'm done with LA. I've just had enough. I love my dear friends there and of course my nephew (but even he, at age 7, is smart enough to be planning to move to Montreal), but I'm over it. Despite the photo, I'm done with driving unless its a good road trip (see previous entry re: Trip To Canada). New York is just simply the best. While thats not a new realization, walking to buy comic books today only reaffirmed it.

What more can I say about BATMAN BEGINS? I've seen it twice and it's by far my favourite comic book movie ever. Bar none. It's that good. My problems with the film are so few and insignificant that I dare not waste your time writing any more about this modern masterpiece. The bar has been raised and somewhere, Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner are shaking in their panties cause Chris Nolan has brought it to a whole new level. You know I love the SITH, but BATMAN BEGINS is simply superior filmmaking. While I am looking forward to WAR OF THE WORLDS and MR AND MRS SMITH, there is nothing possibly better than WEDDING CRASHERS, my dad's most anticipated film of the last 25 years it feels like. Did anyone see the Vince Vaugn/Owen Wilson skit on the MTV awards? Again, the awesome Justin Long kicks ass and carries the skit to the heights.

While I missed Greg Dulli's Uptown Lights, seeing Kasabian in LA was a treat. I never worry about the band being fucking awesome and seeing them with the newly converted lawyer/advisor/guru made it that much more special. The Henry Fonda Theatre is a sweet venue with good sound that made it possible for me to hear what Chris Karloff is actually doing on his guitar. Cheers to that. A slightly augmented set list (wtih the inclusion of album closer U-BOAT, which I had never seen performed) added to the occasion. However, LA hipster crowds blow. They watch gigs like they watch TV and the normally affable Tom Kasabian didn't seem all that pleased about that. And it doesnt help that we ran into members of the fucking Bravery who are quite crap. Regardless, the good music and venue were able to override the shit crowd

I'm happy to come home to some new Chemlab remixes (we now have dozens of them, literally) from some interesting people (I'm still under gag order at Jared's request) as well is the first rough mix of Hypefactor's 1956 by Leo. Again, the appeal of having a record mixed in LA is very romantic and happily the first mix is a good start. Brandt came by this evening to give it a listen and we're both on the same page. Progress is always good. We're getting there. Mattagement has been brought in to advise which he is doing as a type.

Eric Powell will be happy to know I showed up late to meet a semi well known actress to sneak to Tower on Sunset Blvd to buy his Best of 16 Volt 2 CD set. Yes, I'm a sucker for the classics.The Best of package is fucking super. The mastering job gives new life to the older material and it's great to track the progression of the band from start to present. The live album is top notch and I couldn't believe how good the quality of the recording is. It's a great record of how good and tight the live band was. I love the concept that the fans voted for the tracks on the record, though I miss Skin being on the first disc. However, it's on the live CD and that more than makes up for it. That's the kind of thing that makes this package so special. Everything from the mastering to the song selection to the artwork is fantastic. Totally worth the money. Kudos to Eric for giving his fans a great Best of and man am I looking forward to the new material. (I later posted the above paragraph on his website.

I don't know how I feel about the new Coldplay record. I think I like it. Do you? Really?

F

P.S. Public apology to my significant other for my supposed "Dirty Old Mark Out" moments when we ran into both Michelle Tracthenberg and Amber Tamblyn at the BATMAN gig. I don't really mean it though.

No comments: