19.6.04

"I think there is still plenty of aggression in all of us..."

I keep talking about how we are in the home stretch, and while these songs are pretty much up to snuff and just need drum edits before mixing, one song, called one.nine.five.six (which I'll herein refer to as 1956) has plagued us. It's been through several arrangement changes, and everyone has had a feeling for sometime that this track was not quite there yet. So now, thanks to our newest addition Charles breathing new melodic life into the song by adding some new basslines, I was now ready to tackle Track 2 of the new Hypefactor album, which by the way, is the angriest, heaviest song HF has ever done, and will appeal to the few aggression fans who might pick this record up someday.

This song was intended to be our Primal Scream homage. And while it's still a nod to Booby G and co, I decided to loosen the reigns while molding this song into shape. Again, kudos to Charles for his solid work the other night. Because of him, I was able to blow this tune wide open. The track is very loop-based and repetative in nature, so I decided to go over all of these parts with a fine comb. Doing so, I found that these verses could be cut in half without losing the intensity of the song. Originally, the song opened with a quick POW, similar to the aggression's CHEMICAL SUN or Primal Scream's MISS LUCIFER, but after going through these loops, we found several loops and feedback guitar (and of course some of Charles' bass) that I loved and was able to turn these into a cool new intro . B and I agreed that the intro should remain loop based so when the song starts, the impact of the drums guitars will hopefully knock the listener on their ass. At least that is the intention. During all this, Brandt's musical brain was working overtime and we tracked some new melodic guitars to put over the non-vocal verses. That nailed it as far as I was concerned.

And by the time it was over, 1956 had evolved into something new and exciting. It's in good enough shape for me to now lay down some vocals this coming week, but don't be surprised that once we have the vocals and live drums edited in that this song goes through another draft (mostly because there are so many loops that can probably be removed once Robin's drums are in). Not bad for a song that started 2 years ago with the aggression fooling around with laptops and guitars in my parents living room.

SPEAKING of the aggression, they will have a CD out in early 2005 featuring 14 (mostly unreleased) remixes from the course of their entire history. I'll get further into this as time progresses and details have emerged, but as Dan Hamill says "Nostalgia is IN". It is nice though to meet people who appreciate the aggression and their body of work and who want to hear more.

Keeping it old school I-Rock, The MOGpac at Skinny Puppy tomorrow and Monday, look for us. I'm the one with the beard (facial hair, not Ash)

F

No comments: