11.5.08

Life Replacement

Hello to all the mothers out there. I'm glad you are all not getting the shit weather that has made this week wet and silly. Anyhow, for all you mothers who read this blog, and Bob, here's what's goin' on...

For the first time in probably the history of this blog, I am excited to report that I love something new from Nine Inch Nails. The new album, The Slip, is in my humble and occasionally accurate opinion, a super return to form. It feels fresh and sharp and destroys anything and everything that has come in the post Fragile, sober Trent, second stage of NIN. While I did dig GHOSTS, and my cool package came this week for that album set, I am truly enjoying this as a genuine NIN album. Almost 3 years ago this month, I was lamenting where Trent and NIN fit in this modern world, and guess what, he figured it out by becoming a true pioneer in releasing music for a new age. Now he finally has the tunes to back it up. And them playing here on my birthday might cement their coming around full circle as a band I have have loved who have returned to relevance. Let's hope.

It's been a week where the music has taken focus. First, on Wed night, we hit the Dokebi for the first time ages (maybe like 2 weeks) and then sat and recorded B playing some sweet E-bow on LENINGRAD. This is the one song where there's a lot of room to be experimental, wacky and different, but he's got some sweet little melodies going on there. Structure wise, it's possibly the most unusual thing we have ever written. Where the song starts isn't quite where it goes and where it goes isn't quite where it ends up. However, that's the beauty of it cause it has a wonderful coherence to it and by the time it's over, it makes perfect sense. I take great pride in that arrangement and the basslines I wrote. It's a cool out of nowhere track that appears 3/4 into the album and it kicks it real nice. Now it's up to B to have some fun with this shit and take it to some new places on his 6 string.

Yesterday I was delayed going to B's because of some friends who needed some tunes for their trip to South Africa, but when I got there, we hit the ground fucking hard and fast and I did my vocals, in spanish no less, for our rocker OUR FAITH, which is our collaboration with Leo. I'd been listening to this track all week to get ready. It's one thing when you have to sing, but it's another thing to sing in a language you don't speak. I had focused on this song a lot during my vocal lessons, and I think, while typing here listening to the results, we got some magic down yesterday. The song songs epic and I'm really enjoying listening to it with nearly finished vocals (we want to re-track Leo and I have to re-do a few lines). I think back to when B first presented the track as this wax trax sounding thing to when Leo and I sat in his old apt in LA coming up with the structure, cerati style guitars and vocals and then back to B laying down that sick guitar solo at the end and I can stand behind this song as something massive. What a journey!

Speaking of the Argentina, your hero cooked the mothers day feast today back at 141F and made the Argentinian steak for Moms, Dads and Fiancees. Full success, it was a lot of fun, but now I am beat. I'm too tired to get into SPEED RACER, which we saw on Friday night, but I totally enjoyed it and I think it's getting a bum rap, but honestly, its too fucking long. Also, it's marketed wrong. It's much cooler than you would think. IRON MAN destroys it, for reals and I am hoping INDY is the real deal this summer. I already know Batman is going to own.

I don't know why I am dead psyched about this new 90210 show. Maybe it's cause I am still sweet on Jeannie Garth, I don't know. It's nowhere near as good as the best show on TV, which is UNSTOPPABLE MARRIAGE, the hit Korean sitcom that we are watching daily. Thanks Oma.

OK, back to work on the beats. I am dead psyched to see SVI and December Sound this week. Cannot fucking wait.

F

No comments: