24.4.07

This Is Hardcore Awesome

My friends, there is so much to catch up on, so I will get right into it.

Last Thursday, I ran back to the city just to get to Brooklyn to see Ash perform with his latest band, The Equation. How were they? I have no idea. Why? Because they were scheduled to go on at 9 and by 11:30, tlike 5 crap bands had played and Ash’s gear was being moved to another venue because the venue was “screwing” them. Also, Brandt and I were way too drunk to know where to go next. Plus, your hero had to leave for Washington DC the next morning, which I will get to. I’m sure Ash had a good gig, and the night wasn’t a bust in any way shape or form as the HF crew got to catch up and any chance to see Mrs. Laura is a treat. She took some of these drunk ass pictures of us:





And I saw this in the toilet and thought it sounded like G:



Afterwards, Brandt put us on a bus to nowhere, but it actually took us somewhere. I don’t think I do well on buses in Brooklyn. I was happy to be born there, but I don’t like their buses.

Anyhow, the next morning I was on the Acela racing down to Washington DC. Why? Because your hero was moderating a panel on Manga and Anime at the Smithsonian Institution. That’s right. I wanted to go to this thing wearing the sweet robe in the hotel room:



But instead, your hero cleaned up nice like:



Me in a suit doing the Charlie Rose thing with a few legends of the Japanese entertainment. I was told that I was the first person to ever speak on the Japanese art form in the history of The Smithsonian. It was scary and a blast. I got to meet some awesome people from Japan and my pals from Tokyo came for the event.

DC is a cool city. I spent a lot of time here as a kid and then later when Irene lived here and it's nice to see from the top of a hotel:



However, a lot of it is Zagat rated, thus we can't play gigs with Ash here:



Somehow, 5 Japanese guys, a drunk southerner, a non jewish rabbi, 2 girls, and myself ended up at an “electronica dance night” at a gay bar, which led to many laughs. I also heard on this evening the single greatest pick up line of all time, which I will share with you if you ask me in person. But it was said by this guy, Kenji, who is basically the punching bag of my Japanese posse. Imagine all those times G got punched in the balls (especially in Russia) and you get an idea of my evening with these guys. Anyway, his pick up line worked and he married this girl an hour later:



Then me and some of the guys had pizza and then passed out:




Now back in NYC, the Monday night crew, sans Irene who was working, had some dinner and beers before going to Webster Hall to see the awesome man known as Jarvis. No Pulp tunes and yet it was my favourite gig of the year so far. I love this man. I forgot that he has plus one charisma. SO good and his band was great and getting my buzz on to Jarvis is always a treat. His band was tight, he had great energy and man does he have a career in stand up once his music gig is done. Amazing. I’m sure it was nowhere near as good as when B and Al saw him in Paris, but alas, this is Jarvis and this is awesome.

Afterwards., we were joined by members both present and former of the now on hiatus Saintface over at this pub near the apartment. Naturally of course, having all these people in one room being so passionate about music is a potent formula and it was ON. I mostly listened, as I was off my tits, but man do I miss talking music with those characters, especially these two:





Peter had his hand on my heart until I mentioned he hated the Velvets. But it’s a minor blip ;-) Anyhow, I think I am in NY for a spell and am itching to work on some tunes. I miss sleep so much right now

xoxo

1 comment:

mjg. said...

that IS g!