25.10.06

IN-GENUINE

Friends, how are you? Have you missed me? I've been too busy watching Borat deleted scenes on Youtube, no thanks to Chad, but now need to catch up on the things that go on here in this crazy world of MOG.

I've been just about living in the studio at the moment, though I am just a tiny cog in an abode filled with frightening amounts of musical and photography gear. And a dog that got its white fucking hair all over my new jacket. Not pleased. But we have been eating Shabu and donuts while drinking Kurosawa sake, hammering the new tune into shape, and doing loads of bass overdubs. It's nice to spend hours just playing the old Thunderbird in the hook style. It equals fun progress and re-playing stuff written a while ago gives B and I room to improve on the parts, so they will be much improved in both performance and sound quality compared to the demos. I really like playing against the awesome Charlton Creston Low End (tm). There's a cool dynamic there that I think can be translated with much success on the live stage. Anyhow, we're getting there, and it's awesome listening to new versions of the Ipod and seeing how far the quality has jumped in the last year.

Meanwhile, there is the occasional social fun, which included our going to see THE PRESTIGE last weekend. I really dig this movie. Chris Nolan is without a doubt of my favourite directors working in Hollywood and that was long before I met him on his last movie. Basically, THE PRESTIGE is about pro wrestling (though here they use something called "magic"). Batman plays Brian Pillman and Wolverine plays Bret Hart. I'm joking of course, but the similarities between the goings on in the world of magic and our great sport was shocking enough for Dan Hamill to text me during the movie to say so. Completely by coincidence,, this very same comparison was just made on the respected publication The Wrestling Observer (To which we have subscribed since the GOLD STREET ERA). Because it is a period piece about magic, THE PRESTIGE is going to be compared to THE ILLUSIONIST, another movie I liked a lot, but I have to side with the genius of Nolan here. The storytelling is just super and the actors are first rate. Dan Hamill was very pleased to see the IN-GENUINE Piper Perabo in her long awaited "comeback" role. And you know Nolan is a genius when he can make Hollywood Scarlett passable!

I have more to tell you, but now comics need to be bought.

No comments: